Thursday 18 September 2014

Referendum Day

So, after all this time it's actually here. The big decision day. Regardless of what the result is, the Scottish Independence Referendum is a truly historic moment. I thought it would be worth posting a few photos of the day that I snapped on my phone. I hope these are reasonably representative - as it is I have seen far more "Yes" banners than "No" around the Falkirk area but I expect that is merely the nature of the campaign - it is easier to motivate people to campaign for change than the status quo but in a secret ballot people will show their true feelings whether or not they openly advertise them.

This was the phone box outside our house which some "Yes" campaigners decorated - as a friend of mine noted: "I've never seen a phone box achieve orgasm before"
This was a large "No" banner on the A9 near Torwood.


I saw many houses displaying "Yes" banners as well as a good few St Andrews saltires around.
One of their neighbours disagreed politely - this was the only "No" banner I saw locally other than the paid for billboards.

I think that gets the message across in no uncertain terms.

This was my favourite picture of the day and I wish it had come out better. It is the canvassers at the Dobbie Hall polling station in Stenhousemuir posing for me. The left two are "Yes" campaigners and the right two "No". All very civil, very polite and all smiles. Obviously many people will be disappointed whatever the result tomorrow but I feel this bodes well for the future. 
I took the dogs for a walk down to the Kelpies afterwards. I think the one on the left is saying "Naw" and the one on the right "FREEDOM!". Well, maybe not. I have a vivid imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment