Sunday 14 September 2014

Listen

I’ve been enjoying the new series of Doctor Who far more than I could have hoped but so far I’ve still had this nagging thought in my head as to what Matt Smith would have made of this or that. Last week’s Robin Hood themed episode struck me as being very much a Matt Smith vehicle but this week’s episode, Listen, was so far removed from anything that has been done since the series revived that I can only imagine Peter Capaldi pulling it off – has he now truly arrived?

It’s not just Capaldi, though. Somehow Jenna Coleman has shone in this series and the writing has been spot on. However, Listen seemed to work on so many levels that it’s not just the script. The entire ensemble appear to be gelling together. I think I can see themes that have been used in the series before: Steven Moffat has frequently relied on childhood fears for his ideas and there was more than a hint of Russell T Davies’ Midnight episode in its unseen threat but for once this episode appeared completely fresh and new.

I‘m not sure how the new series is faring in general. Fandom is fickle and so far the viewing figures are firm if not outstanding. However, for me this is shaping up as one of the strongest to date and certainly the most consistent start to a series since David Tennant’s first series.
Just one question, though. What is it with blackboards?

No comments:

Post a Comment