Thursday 9 September 2010

Frankie Boyle

I like Frankie Boyle. His dark, pessimistic, sometimes surreal and peculiarly Scottish sense of humour appeal to me. However, we saw his live show a couple of years ago and, whilst it was funny, it wasn't as hilarious as I had imagined. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. He certainly didn't die on stage, I've seen that happen on more than one occasion in Falkirk and I don't know who it is worse for: the comic on stage or the audience feeling embarrassed for them and wishing they would produce a belly laugh or get off ASAP. Although he had me laughing I felt there was something missing from Frankie's show. Having just read his book My **** Life So Far I think I've put my finger on it.

What his show was lacking was a common thread. On stage his barbed comments seemed like a series of non-sequiturs as he jumped from one subject to the next - sometimes seeming only to shock his audience. His book, meanwhile, is an alleged autobiography but, in effect, it is his stand-up routine built around his life story: growing up in Glasgow, going to college, working in a psychiatric hospital, some time as a teacher, becoming a stand-up comic and his progression into a broadcasting and writing career. All this is filled with personal asides and topical observations. It often had me laughing out loud - which is a little embarrassing in the staff canteen.

Interestingly, he did mention the 2008 tour in the book. He seemed to think he was missing his natural audience. Most of the tickets were bought over the internet which meant that only well organised people like accountants and lawyers bought them rather than the usual flotsam and jetsam of Scottish society (which, in all honesty, is where I fit in). He may have a point as I don't recall much that banter with the audience. Still, I could very much recommend the book - Frankie Boyle at his best.

No comments:

Post a Comment