Monday 5 February 2018

An Unexpected Find


One of the odd things that turned up in the loft of my mother-in-law’s house was an acoustic guitar that I had no recollection of whatsoever.

On further investigation it turns out to be one that Nina bought in the early 90s at a flea market in North Shields. I was going to offer it to a local guitar teacher to see if any of her pupils could make use of it but I wanted to find out a bit more about it first.


The label inside identifies it as an Antoria F-710 which is only described as “Foreign” but which I am guessing was a Japanese import. Quite when it was manufactured is another matter. I’d estimate it as being early 1970s with the strings made in the 1980s judging from the amount of rust on them. It actually feels like a nicely made bit of kit but the harmonics are off on the neck which points to it needing some sort of truss rod adjustment.

So the upshot of this is that I’ve ordered some new strings for it and I am fiddling with the neck rod with an allen key. I suspect this isn’t going to the guitar teacher after all. I’ll just have to find some more room for my hoardings.

No comments:

Post a Comment