Sunday 13 March 2016

Hair Do

I had the pleasure of taking my daughter along to the hair dressers yesterday. I’ve taken the boys on many occasions but then boys are easy. Our local barbers is run by a group of Turkish lads (although I think one of them is actually Syrian) and the only instruction required is to tell them a number from 1 to 6 and hair magically disappears. Hair dressing for women is a far more complicated affair with perms to make straight hair curly; straitening to make curly hair strait; various bleaches to make hair appear white and dyes to make it dark as well as a whole array of washing, drying and chemical treatments to render a natural head of hair into something resembling nylon. Essentially, women’s hairdressing involves buggering about.

I asked my daughter what she wanted and, being eight years old, she had a very good idea that she wanted her fringe cut so it didn’t get in her eyes when playing football. This seemed to be a fairly reasonable request but aside from that there was no indication as to what hair style she wanted. This doesn’t help me because as far as I am aware there are essentially three women’s hair styles: long, short and buggered about. I am aware that there have been some popular styles over the years such as Purdy from The Avengers, which was a sort of short hairstyle; the Rachel from Friends hairstyle which was a longer one; and the Amy Winehouse Beehive, which was a buggered about one; however, I couldn’t imagine any of this on my daughter.

Anyway, after some discussion we determined that what she really wanted was a “Bob” which turns out to be a sort of 1920’s short cut and actually looks very nice on her. It also passes the not getting in her eyes whilst playing football test so she seems very happy with it. I dread to think what she will want in her teenage years when she has to explain “the science bit” to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment