Sunday 9 March 2014

Elementary

With Windows XP going out of support at the end of the month I decided to update my desktop and install Windows 8.1 around a month ago. I had intended to use the old desktop as a play server for installing Linux. I finally managed to get around to that this weekend.

I had considered a few versions of Linux. I already had Ubuntu as a duel boot but I had rather lost interest in it a while ago. It seemed slow and unnecessarily unwieldy and I was rather put off by some changes to the interface. I had toyed with the idea of Linux Mint for a while but one of my colleagues suggested Elementary OS so I decided to give it a go.

One thing I did have to consider first is that many of the components of the system had been reused in the new desktop but searching around various boxes of junk I managed to uncover a PS2 keyboard, a rollerball mouse, a DVD drive and various cables. That just left a monitor. I had considered asking around on Freegle to see if anyone had one going but as I wanted to use this in my main bedroom I wondered if I could use the TV. This has various inputs but unfortunately not a VGA connection. It does, however have a spare HDMI socket in the side so I bought a cheap videocard which would support this.

Installing the operating system is easy. The ISO file can be downloaded and burned to CD or DVD (it will fit on either) and it can then be booted as a trial without altering anything on the hard disk. It takes a while to come up but I immediately loved what I saw - a simple X-Windows screen which was just like the one I had to abandon in the mid 1990s when my employers inflicted something called Windows 3.11 on me. Being happy enough with this I elected to do a full install. I did choose to repartition the drive so that the operating system and /home went on different locations - this makes it easier if re-installation is required at a later date.

For a Linux install I would say this was very easy. After the initial install I applied the updates and updated the graphics card drivers. I then installed Firefox and Adobe Flash (to make iPlayer work) and I had to download the printer drivers from Canon. This posed a bit of an issue as I couldn't make out how to run the install through the user interface but there is a virtual VT220 terminal hidden away in the application s which gives the familiar Unix command line - I really am a luddite to the end.

In terms of performance, this is really quite impressive. Boot-up time is 30 seconds (remember this is 10 year old hardware) and movement between the applications is smooth and consistent - something sadly lacking in Windows 8.1. I didn't manage to find a driver for my scanner although this won't work in Windows either - I think it is just too old to get any support.

The other basic applications include an email client, music and movie player, instant messenger (which I haven't tried) and photo viewer. There are also many applications available for install in the Software Centre. For someone who wants to move away from XP and doesn't have the hardware to cope with later Windows versions this may be just the ticket. It's not quite as simple as the latest Windows to install but I'd actually say it was easier than XP.

The only fly in the ointment is I'm now rather annoyed that I paid Microsoft for a new operating system as this would do 90% of what I want for a voluntary payment of $10 (well worth paying). I'm not one for having a go at Microsoft - they have their place - but for a desktop operating system I'm wondering whether the likes of Elementary OS are the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment