Tuesday 5 November 2013

The Mighty Torque Wrench

I noticed back in March that DIY is much easier with the appropriate tools but I had another example this week when I came to change my wheels around. I’ve swapped wheels before and I am quite capable of doing it with the basic tool kit that motor manufacturers (until recently) supply for the purposes of changing burst tyres but they are very primitive and removing wheels can be torturous. Putting them back on can be even more problematic as if the bolts are not tightened up correctly the wheel can fall off – on the other hand, apply too much pressure and the bolt can sheer off. It’s a stupid thing to do but I’ve managed it in the past.

Changing the wheels this week was much easier – largely because I’m a sucker for the “specials” that they sell at discount supermarkets such as Lidl and Aldi. It’s a cunning ploy – save a few quid on cheap fruit and veg and come out with £100 worth of power tools. Well I didn’t spend that much on this tool (just under £20, in fact) but I am now a convert to the mighty torque wrench.

The torque wrench is a fundamentally simple idea. It can be adjusted to limit the amount of pressure that is applied to a bolt – it also has a longer handle which means it is a lot less effort to turn the thing. However, it is simply the limit to torque that makes it so much easier because I can just twist it around like gorilla without worrying about shredding the bolts. Overall it took me just 30 minutes to change all 4 wheels: hardly formula one but every second counts when it’s cold and wet.

I just wonder what else might make the job easier. A proper jack maybe? I’ll have to see what Lidl stock next.

No comments:

Post a Comment