Monday 7 October 2013

Carron Dam

One thing I am often looking for is alternative dog walks. Whilst I have enjoyed walking through the Helix and I often go to Plean Country Park I do enjoy a little variety just so I don’t have to look at the same old scenery every day. I was planning on going through the Helix again this Sunday but the last time I went Sam rolled in something unspeakably smelly which resulted in me cleaning him with dry dog shampoo, followed by wet dog shampoo and finally Alberto Balsam coconut and lychee shampoo – after which he still had the aroma of vaguely stinky dog. Jake suggested going to Carron Dam which isn’t a bad idea as it has the advantage of being within walking distance of the house, it is off road, so I can let the dogs have a run, and it contains a sufficient array of bad smells to keep the mutts amused.

Carron Dam is one of those oddities – a nature reserve that is actually former industrial land: specifically it was used to store water for the Carron ironworks. Plean Country Park is similar in this respect as it is a former mine combined with the owners derelict mansion and grounds.


It took about 25 minutes to walk right around the dam but this did include a couple of stops for Jake to remove stones or something from his wellies. I did try to take a picture of some wildlife but the rabbit and squirrel that I saw were faster than the cheap photographic equipment that I had with me. I did take a picture of these mushrooms as they don’t move as fast.

Overall it’s a pleasant walk around even if Sam did find something vaguely disgusting to roll in. He now smells of coconut and lychee.

No comments:

Post a Comment