Monday 8 April 2013

The Rings of Akhaten

Let’s get this over with. I didn’t think that this week’s Doctor Who, The Rings of Akhaten, was one of the best. I didn’t think it was without merit but the plot wasn’t its strongest card. I was actually quite surprised about this as the writer, Neil Cross, is the writer of the crime series Luther so I was expecting something that was strong on plot but lacking visual flare. In fact the opposite was true and the episode’s strengths were its variety of alien species which reminded me of Star Trek or the Dino de Laurentiis version of Flash Gordon.

In fact the Flash Gordon similarities went further with the Doctor and Clara riding into battle on a space scooter but whereas Flash Gordon’s leads were dull backed up by star turns from a variety of British character actors, the bit parts on Akhaten blended into the scenery with the performances from Matt and Jenna carrying the show. Emilia Jones did well but her role was written too cutesy whereas I feel the part would have benefited from a more confident character.

The saving grace of the episode was how it looked. It utilised lots of passed over alien masks which gave the whole episode a big screen feel and whilst I don’t find alien planet Doctor Who to be the most engaging it did make full use of the pallet provided. The monster-of-the-week was, eventually, a bit of a let down. I feel like I’ve seen this before several times. However, whilst writing this I went to look up the monster I had in mind (I think it was in 42) and discovered that Margaret Thatcher had died. Now there is something to really frighten the kids.

I’ve never understood the fawning over Thatcher although the fact that she was Britain’s first (and so far only) woman Prime Minister is certainly of historical note. Living in Scotland, I don’t think too many people will morn her passing but it is probably too early for me too pass judgement. In fact, if it isn’t possible to say anything nice, then it’s probably best to say nothing. Maybe it’s time to watch something bright and cheerful for a change:

No comments:

Post a Comment