Monday 25 March 2013

Bog Standard

If there is one room that visitors to the house will see (aside from the living room) it’s the downstairs toilet. Ours was a state. Of all the rooms in the house this was the one that we hadn’t got round to decorating. Partly, this was because we had some plans to extend it and create a shower-room of sorts. What with one thing and another that just wasn’t happening and the downstairs bog was resplendent with its orange ceiling and the terracotta, sky-blue and florescent green floral wallpaper – much of which was peeling off  due to a leak in the roof which we had to fix not long after we moved in. In short – it was a bit of a toilet.

This weekend, I’ve redecorated it although this turned out to be one of those tasks that got out of hand. Initially, Nina suggested that I buy a replacement light fitting as the glass bowl over the wall light had shattered when I tried to change the bulb. However, if I was going to go to the trouble of changing the lights then it made more sense to redecorate the whole room. I started stripping the wallpaper last Thursday, only to discover that most of the plaster came away with it. The water damage was worse than I thought. However, I didn’t want to be spending a fortune on the decoration.

As it was, I didn’t spend much. In total I’ve spend £35 and most of that was for the lighting. Aside from that, I had to buy a bag of plaster and the paint and other materials came from left overs I had for other jobs. It looks presentable now – all magnolia and white. I was thinking of posting a before and after picture but at the end of the day it’s only a toilet and I think I would be rather too ashamed to reproduce the “before” image in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment