Sunday 1 January 2012

On My Radio


After last year’s Hogmanay debacle, whereby I acted as designated driver and ended up breaking my arm through reasons of sobriety, I made sure that I was well over the legal drink-drive limit by early evening. The odd thing is that I don’t feel particularly hung over this morning and I have even taken the dog out for a walk (without breaking any limbs, I may add). This has also given me the chance to have another play with my Christmas presents – it’s not just children who get toys from Santa.

I actually received a decent selection this year. I hate it when I receive presents that are just obviously “for work” like a tie or shirt. It just seems like an anti-present because it is making the point that earning money is the only thing one exists for. So this year, I received a big illustrated book about The Beatles, a decent single malt whisky, Kate Bush’s new album and a DAB radio. Clearly someone does know what my interests are. In fact, I almost bought Kate’s new album before being a bit tight fisted and thinking it would be half the price in the new year. In fact it is probably worth the full price – it’s not as immediately accessible as Aeriel, her previous album, but it is definitely a grower. Whereas Aeriel portrayed a Summer’s day in England, 50 Words for Snow is all about different aspects of Winter set around a rather sparse and minimal piano arrangements.

The one thing I have really been playing about with today is the DAB Radio. I have never had a digital radio before although I have had some of the channels via Freeview. In terms of sound quality it is better than I had heard DAB before – I listened to it at my sister’s old house but the reception was minimal and made everything sound as if it was being played under mud. The sound out of my new radio is very clear but it doesn’t quite have the crispness of good FM reception. However, it is the choice of channels which is the big bonus with DAB. Outside of the BBC channels (and possibly Classic FM) I find the commercial radio stations to be very samey. Clyde and Forth are practically interchangeable and I did like Real radio until they started having the blokes-talking-pish-about-fitba phone-in for what seems to be about 90% of the time I tune in. DAB has the advantage in that it still is a minority pursuit so there is a niche for everyone. The intention is that all radio will go DAB eventually although they are really going to have to fit it in cars for that to happen.

The one channel that many people have raved on about (and got rather cross when the BBC threatened to close it) is BBC 6. I listened to this quite a bit on Freeview but it disappeared in the evenings when BBC Alba started up. It’s nice to have it back. However, one feature I like on the DAB Radio compared to Freeview is that all channels are listed alphabetically so such unlikely bedfellows as Jazz FM and Kerrang! sit next to each other. I like both: Jazz does pretty much what it says on the tin whereas Kerrang! does heavy metal, punk, rock, grunge and anything else that goes Kerrang! There are also a Planet Rock channel but I haven’t decided whether this is  better or worse than Kerrang! There are a few nostalgia channels which concentrate on the 1980s or 1990s (apparently the 90s are now a distant memory – who’d have thought) and there are even a couple of channels which play Asian music – at least that is what it turned out to be. At first, I thought it was Tony Blackburn. Why do DJs put on that ridiculous voice? If the presenter had an Indian accent or a regional British accent (as I assume they were probably British-Asian) it would seem quite natural, so why the DJ accent? It sounds stupid when Tony Blackburn does it.

The only downside with the DAB radio is the alarm function. In fact the alarm works well enough but the clock face is left permanently illuminated even when the radio is off. This has the problem that there is a light perpetually on in the bedroom. My current clock alarm does this as well and it seems like such a stupid oversight. In fact the only alarm I’ve had that isn’t permanently illuminated actually used a light to wake the sleeper rather than a radio. Is it not beyond the wit of man to combine the two? I’m actually experimenting at the moment to see what is the best channel is to wake up to. I had been using Radio 2 as they have a nice little 3 minute news bulletin just when the alarm goes off but I find Vanessa Feltz to be far too damn perky for that hour of the morning. I’ll have to see who does a decent bit of news and then cuts to something a little more gentle. Like Motörhead, for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment