Saturday 15 May 2010

Election Special

I suppose I should be happy since I got what I wanted - a hung parliament. Although, it appears this involves politicians being ever so polite to each other rather than the re-run of the Nuremburg trials which I'd envisaged. Still, it really gives me the creeps seeing a Tory back in number 10.

However, I do have hope for the new government. I believe that single party governments have been very damaging to this country - particularly when combined with huge majorities. What we have had in effect, for years, is electoral dictatorship. Once the votes are counted there have been no checks or balances on what the government of they day can do - whether Tory or Labour. With a junior coalition partner, the main party cannot easily make corrupt deals or ride roughshod over the civil rights of the population.

I also think that the Liberals have managed to get a good deal from coalition. I think evidence of this is the fury shown by right wing Tory old guard and their mates in the papers. Their sense of entitlement really makes me want to vomit. They have to realise that no-one won the election outright and everyone deserves to have their views represented in parliament. Despite what the neigh sayers would promote, I think coalition (or even minority) government is a good thing. It prevents the worst excesses of any political party and it may even occur to them that the views of the people are what matters. There is a disincentive to leave a financial and social mess for the next party to pick up as members of the current government may well be taking part in the next.

We will see in the coming weeks how things will shape up. The budget will be harsh but we can see if they will support the masses or leave the passengers at either end of the social scale to leech off the general populous. We will also see how much they are prepared to roll back authoritarian legislation of the last 30 years and restore us to the liberal democracy we once were.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more.

    All of the main parties must have been very disappointed on May 7th. Cameron was meant to sail into power - the Libs were hoping to win another 20 seats (not lose 5!) and I'm sure Gordon was still hoping he could hang on in there.

    I seriously hope this does work out. I liked Giles Brandreth's picture of Clegg and Cameron upstairs in 10 Downing Street sharing a bed Morecambe and Wise style. The press conference definitely had a Civil Partnership feel to it.

    What has really baffled me though is the local election results. Country-wide, Labour did really well and the Liberals and Tories have done really badly - losing several key councils. Our local Tory Westminster candidate lost her council seat and the Libs lost 5 on the Council.

    Here's the Metro take on the Election.

    ReplyDelete