Wednesday 17 March 2010

More of that Jazz

I've been listening to a lot of Jazz over the last month since I bought a pile of CDs with an Amazon voucher I received for my birthday. In fact, I probably ended up with more than I bargained for as Jazz CDs, particularly of older recordings, are dirt cheap. So far, I've been pretty impressed with what I've heard.

I started off with a Miles Davies compilation. Davies was a mixed bag. The first disk covers the period from the mid 50's to mid 60's and is wonderful. Much of it sounds as if it belongs in a Film Noir and, in fact, he did compose for them although I don't know if any of these recordings were used. The music is soft, soulful and melodic - I could listen to it over and over again. The second disk of the set covers the late 60's to mid 70's and at first I wasn't at all fussed with it. In fairness, it improves at subsequent listenings but much of it is of such a free-form nature that there are hardly any noticeable structures to latch on to. One track sounds as if the musicians turned up to the studio on different days without knowing what the others were up to and the emotional trumpet playing had descended into a noise like a balloon slowly deflating - and this goes on for 20 minutes. Other tracks were better but I wouldn't say it was exactly easy listening.

I then went for a John Coltrane disk (he collaborated with Davies on Kind of Blue). This is lovely. He establishes themes at ease or even uses well known melodies (for example, Favourite Things from The Sound of Music) and then improvises at will but without ever losing the original tune. I have this disk in the car at the moment. I also went for a Herbie Hancock anthology. He has more pop sensibilities (he had a hit in the 1980's with Rockit). The disk has a vast array of styles from the Miles Davies band, collaborations with Stevie Wonder, through funk and even hip-hop. All eminently listenable and leaving me wanting to hear more.

The one surprise was how taken I was with the Jazz singers. I went for Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong Best Of disks (both double CDs again). I think what surprised me with these is how much I knew. I was familiar with a few Satchmo songs but I found that I knew nearly everything. Ella Fitzgerald is also very familiar although I discovered that I know some of the songs on the disk by different singers - for example, the version of Cry Me a River I am familiar with is actually by Julie London. I think in the past I've associated Jazz singing with Rat Pack singers like Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin which isn't really my sort of thing - but then I do like Nina Simone and Nat King Cole (two more disks to look out for).

The oldest recordings I bought were by Django Reinhardt. This was a three disk set with one covering the 1930's, one the 40's and the third the 50's. Incredibly, the whole thing was only £4. As I play the guitar, I can appreciate the technical skill involved but with Reinhardt this is complicated by the fact that he only had full use of two fingers on his left hand - somehow he produced a sound that I would struggle to play with all my fingers (it's my right hand were not all the fingers work). The choice of tunes is inspired and has a more European flavour, incorporating many popular French songs and many influences from his own Roma culture. He also recorded quite a few tracks with Stéphane Grappelli, which is a bonus.

The only disk that I haven't taken to is Charlie Parker. I know he is a major Jazz influence and I enjoyed Clint Eastwood's film, Bird, but I just haven't been able to latch on to anything on the disks which takes my fancy. I think part of the problem might be the mix on the disks - the rhythm section is very low down and without being able to establish that base it just sounds like aimless twiddling - often, more to show off than anything of musical value. I'll have to listen to them again - it may grow on me yet.

So that's me on the road to New Orleans, as it were. It's positive as I enjoy the music and would definitely like to hear more. Of course I would also like a better recording of Verdi's Aida, and some early Dylan, and a Buzzcocks compilation, and a curiosity to know what Marilyn Manson is about, and a really strange desire to listen to some Serge Gainsbourg. It's all down to money, really - but I will be listening to more of that Jazz.

I also bought a Johnny Cash album. It was bloody brilliant!

1 comment:

  1. Well, you know how much I love jazz. I'm surprised you didn't take to Charlie Parker. Have you tried Thelonious Monk? Very off-kilter piano jazz. Oscar Peterson, Cannonball Adderley, Charles Mingus and Art Blakey are also worth a listen. Modern day jazzers like Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman and the Portico Quartet are all pretty good.

    And 4 daysand 4 hours to go...

    ReplyDelete