Wednesday 24 February 2010

Roadworks

Today has been a Perfect Storm of crap roads. It snowed last night. There's nothing unusual in that but there was an accident that closed the A9 heading North - somewhat ironically involving the gritter truck. That didn't affect me that badly but, as I headed off this morning, it transpired that there was an overturned lorry in the A80 roadworks and that was closed going South. This meant that the M80 and M876 had to rapidly merge from four lanes to one. I was delayed by half an hour even at my early journey time. In the rush hour this was tailing back for two hours. Interestingly, someone managed to crash travelling northwards as well.

I managed to drive through Cumbernauld easily enough and thought that would be the last of it but, as I arrived in Airdrie, I was stuck behind an HGV going at 15 mph. I presumed that he was either stopping or breaking down. There was a lay-by but he didn't pull over. Instead, he ground to a halt on a roundabout. I assumed that he had just broken down - admittedly, in just about the most inconvenient place he could find. I noticed a car from the housing estate to his left squeeze past so I realised that, driving a small car, I could probably fit past as well. I went left and did a quick U-Turn - I just fitted past. I looked up and realised the problem - he was staring at a map. The idiot hadn't broken down - he was lost. And also too stupid to be left in charge of a roller-skate - let alone a 40 tonner.

It took me over an hour and a half to get into work. I left early tonight as it had been snowing all day and didn't want to get stuck. As it was, I was home in just over 30 minutes. But as I was driving up our road, I saw a sign saying that our street will be closed next week for repairs. Now, I don't want to appear ungrateful, as the road really does need fixing, but it now means a 5 mile diversion for me. I am really, really sick of roadworks.

And the funny thing is, it's still better than the bleeding train ever was.

No comments:

Post a Comment